Vegetables to be Fried in oil:
• 1 Egg Plant peeled and sliced
• 1 small Cauliflower
• 1 Potato peeled and sliced
(A healthy alternative to frying is boiling above 3 veggies until soft to the fork touch and then browning them in the oven)
Place all above ingredient on a large plate layered with paper towel to absorb the oil (If fried)
• 1 large sweet onion sliced, sautéed on high heat using 1 Tbsp. of cooking oil and then caramelized on low heat until soft and translucent.
Nuts to be dry toasted:
• Mix ½ cup of Pine Nuts and ½ cup of sliced Almonds
• Dry toast the mix in a pan (cast iron preferred) on med heat until nuts turn light gold.
• 1 ½ to 2 lbs. of Meat. (Lamb or Goat shoulder/leg Sliced into stew size pcs.)
• 1 ½ Cup of Basmati Rice (soaked in cold water for at least 1 hr. then drained)
• Fresh Cilantro.
• Smen or Ghee Butter (optional)
• 2 – 3 Garlic Cloves Peeled and Sliced
• 2 small Shallots peeled and quartered
• 1 small sweet onion peeled and sliced.
• A pinch of saffron threads
• 2 Tbsps. Baharat, Arabian Style
• 2 Tbsps. Seven Spice Lebanese Style
• 3 Star Anise
• 2 Cinnamon Sticks
• 3 Bay Leaves
• Pure Ocean Sea Salt
• On high heat place 3 – 4 Tbsps. of cooking oil in a Large Cooking Pot
• Add the Meat, Shallots, Garlic, Bay Leaves, Cinnamon Sticks, Star Anise, 1 Tbsp. of Smen or Ghee, and Salt to taste.
• Mix with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes until the meat is sautéed on both sides.
• Add 2 ½ cups of water, Saffron, Cilantro, 2 Tbsps. of Baharat Spice Blend and 1 Onion Sliced.
• Cover, lower the heat to Medium and cook for 35 min.
• When done, seprate the Meat from the Stock/Broth by straining the cooked stew using a colander.
• Preheat the oven to 400 F then lower to 350 F
• Using an Oven Dish start placing all above ingredients in an alternating fashion
• Order is not important. Watch the video for more detail.
• Don’t forget to add the rice to the mix.
• For more flavor add 1 to 2 Tbsps. of Seven Spice Blend at the end.
• Add the broth to the top of the ingredients. (at least two cups)
• Cover with Aluminum Foil and place in the oven
• Cook for 35 minutes or until the rice is done.
• Test the rice. If not soft, cook bake some more.
• When done, flip the dish upside down on a larger serving dish
• Garnish with more toasted nuts and fresh cilantro
• Pass some forks and spoons and start digging while hot.