Basic Curry RecipeBeef · Indian · Lamb · Poultry · Vegetable
Curries or masalas are some of my favorite meals to cook. They are quick, easy and delicious. There are so many ways to switch it up. Want spicy? Use Madras or Red Singapore Curry. Want mild? Use Yellow Mild Curry. Want sweeter? Use garam masala or kashmiri curry.
This is vegetarian, but you can also saute a pound of your favorite cubed meat (chicken, lamb, etc. with the onions).
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium potato (boiled soft)
- 2 medium carrots (boiled soft)
- 4 teaspoons curry powder (see above)
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 5 oz can coconut milk or ¾ cup heavy cream or ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup green peas (thawed, if frozen)
- Boil carrots & potatoes till almost soft
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds.
- Stir in curry powder, diced tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, and coconut milk.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in chickpeas, spinach and peas until warmed through and spinach is slightly wilted, 1-2 minutes.
Serve over rice.