Smoked & Spicy Grilled Shish Kababs
Majid's own version of Moroccan Shish Kababs can demonstrate what the Ottomans and Moorish cuisine had in common; a simple style of combining meat, spices and fresh herbs to create exotic dishes.
With this recipe you'll experience how smoked paprika infused with other spices, herbs and olive oil can bring a unique flavor out of your favorite red meat. So fire-up that grill and try it. It is simple to prepare and you won't regret it.
· 2 lbs beef sirloin steaks (or Lamb)
· 3 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 medium red onion finely chopped
· 1 cup of fresh cilantro finely chopped
· 2 - 3 tsp. Hot Smoked Spanish Paprika
· 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
· 1/3 cup red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
· 1/2 cup olive oil
1. Cut the meat into 1 1/2 " cubes and place into a mixing bowl or large plastic sealable bag. (if you using lamb ask for the best cut to use for kebab)
2. Prepare the marinade by combining together all above spices, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, onion and cilantro. (add olive oil as needed to Make more marinade)
3. Pour marinade mixture over the meat cubes and mix well, marinate in fridge for 3 - 4 hours.
4. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Thread the meat onto the skewers leaving about 1/2-inch in between the pieces of meat. Place on the grill and cook, with lid lowered, 2 to 3 minutes per side, 8 to 12 minutes in all (8 minutes for rare and 12 for medium).
(Don't worry about the pieces of small onions and cilantro falling off the skewers as they grill. They were their just to marinade and flavor the meat.)
5. Remove from the heat to aluminum foil, wrap and allow resting for 2 to 3 minutes prior to serving.
Serve this special dish with your favorite bread (Pita, French baguette, Italian dense bread) and some Moroccan mint tea as a beverage.
If your palette can handle even spicier flavors, a side-dish of Moroccan Harissa Paste will finalize this setting.Optional: Fresh vegetables can also be grilled next to your kebabs. The best candidates for this recipe are large ripe tomatoes and green zucchini. Cut in half, sprinkle with salt and sweet or hot smoked paprika. Grill tomatoes on the skin side only (not too long). Grill the zucchini on both sides..