Large Cooking Tagine: Slaoui or Simple
1 to 1 1/2 LBS of Meat or Chicken Stew pieces
4 to 6 Large Carrots peeled and halved
2 Med Potatoes peeled and sliced thin
2 Green Squash Zucchini
1 Sweet Onion diced
1 Small Sweet Onion Sliced
1 Garlic Clove minced
1 Sweet Bell Pepper Quartered
1 Cup of Sweet Peas
1 TBsp cilantro paste or 1/2 cup cilantro finely Chopped
1 TBsp of of Butter (Ghee or Smen or Coconut Butter)
1 large TBsp of Tagine Spice Blend (Ahtriya for Vegetarian , Lahma for meat, or LaKama for Chicken and Charmoula for fish)
Salt to taste
- Place the Tagine Plate on Med Heat. Add 1 Tbsp Smen or Ghee Butter
- Add 1 diced onion and garlic. Sauté the onions the for 1 min until soft.
- Add the meat with salt and brown it on both sides for 2 minutes.
- Add the Tagine Spice Blend and the Cilantro paste.
- Start placing the veggies on the plate forming a pyramid shape.
- Carrots, Potatoes, Zucchini, Bell Pepper, 1/2 Tomato, Onion Slices
- 1/4 cup of water or broth (only). this is not a soup, the broth should minimum and thick.
- Cover the Tagine and cook on low heat for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Check the sauce every 10 minutes.
- Check the Veggies if Soft to a fork touch. Add the Canned Sweet Peas and Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with Cilantro Leaves and Serve Hot with Moroccan Bread or Pita Bread.